Color Coding Local Law 58/09, effective 3/2/10. Existing buildings must comply by 6/2/10.
All exposed Standpipe and Sprinkler piping must be painted RED. The law outlines specific exceptions, such as branch piping (Stringer lines). All buildings-no matter size or occupancy-must comply with these requirements.
1) Dedicated Standpipe valve handles must be painted-RED
2) Dedicated Sprinkler valve handles must be painted- GREEN
3) Combination Standpipe valve handles must be painted-YELLOW
System Components to be Painted as Per Local Law
A) Standpipe feed mains, Cross Connections and Risers (including horizontal & vertical) “MUST BE PAINTED”
B) Sprinkler feed mains, Cross-mains and Branch lines “DO NOT NEED TO BE PAINTED” AS PER THE NYCFD
C) Riser control valve handles, Section control valve handles and Gate valve handles “MUST BE PAINTED”
D) Floor control valve handles, Check valve handles and Valve handles serving Gravity Tanks “MUST BE PAINTED”
E) Hose valve handles, Pressure control valve handles and Pressure-reducing valve handles “DO NOT NEED TO BE PAINTED”
F) Test valve handles and Drain valve handles “DO NOT HAVE TO BE PAINTED”
1) Sprinkler pipe containing sprinkler heads called (Stringer Lines) do not need to be painted.
2) Sprinkler trunk lines feeding the sprinkler lines called (Cross Mains) NEED TO BE painted. They are used sometimes as a riser to another fire zone (Area).
3) Sprinkler/Standpipe risers (Main vertical line feeding system) from floor to floor encased in walls or soffits do not need to be painted.
4) Sprinkler/Standpipe valve handles above ceilings with trap doors must be painted.
5) After completion of painting and certification you CANNOT repaint the lines another color.
6) The Fire Department will be writing violations for the 58/09 code on or after June 2, 2010 when they come to the building for site inspection or required testing.
7) The DOB certification letter should be located in the building lobby area in a frame so Fire/DOB inspector can visually see it.
8) Buckmiller will not supply certification letter if we cannot check entire premises for correctly painted areas.